Terms & Conditions
Making a reservation
When you book online, you will pay a 25% deposit of the total booking amount then receive a booking confirmation email once you have completed the booking. Your booking date will then be blocked off and will not be bookable by others.
The contract is between the owner of the property, Seashell Cottage, The Glen, Isle of Harris, Western Isles, HS5 3TY (the owner) and the person making the reservation (the Guest). Scottish law will govern this contract. The lead Guest making the booking must be over the age of 18 and agrees to take full responsibility for ensuring that all the following Terms and Conditions are adhered to by all members of their party. The lead Guest must personally stay at the accommodation throughout the holiday. The property is to be occupied only by the persons notified to the Owner and for vacation purposes only. The Guest and the members of the Guest’s party also agree not to use the property for any commercial or illegal purpose, including subletting, which will result in the immediate termination of the contract and the immediate departure of the Guest and the Guest’s party with no liability on the part of the Owner for any refund payments made compensation, expenses or costs incurred by the Guest or his/her party.
Booking deposit and balance payments
If a booking is made more than 8 weeks (56 days) before the arrival date, a deposit of 25% is payable at the time of booking. This is payable at the time of booking via Stripe (our online debit/credit card processor).
On receipt of the deposit, the booking will be confirmed by email.
The balance of the payment is due 8 weeks prior to the Guest’s arrival date and we can take the remaining balance over the phone or you can arrange a bank transfer using your booking reference (found in your booking confirmation email) as the reference.
If a booking is made within 8 weeks (56) of the arrival date, we will contact you to request the remaining balance. A confirmation of booking will be issued by email once the payment has been made.
Late payments may lead to the Guest’s booking being cancelled by the Owner and re-advertised to secure another booking. The Owner will not be liable for any refund of payments made, compensation, expenses or costs inured by the Guest as a result of late payment. (see cancellation policy below).
If a Guest has to cancel their holiday, the Owner must be telephoned immediately. The cancellation must be confirmed in writing (email) within 3 days of the telephone call.
If a cancellation is made:
- up to 24 hours after the booking is made, a 100% refund will be issued (provided the booking is more than 8 weeks away).
- more than 8 weeks before booking commences, the deposit will be forfeited
- fewer than 8 weeks before the booking commences, the Guest will be liable to pay the full rental cost (deposit + balance) if the property is not re-let. If the property can be re-let to another party at the same rate, the guest will be re-imbursed 75% of their booking cost
Every effort will be made to re-let the property to allow the Guest to be re-imbursed.
The Owner strongly advises that the Guest takes out a comprehensive travel insurance policy. This gives the Guest peace of mind that they will be able to recover their cost and losses should there be a need to cancel. If the Guest chooses not to have adequate travel insurance in place, then the Guest accepts full responsibility for any costs or loss that may be incurred due to a cancellation.
Adverse Travel Conditions
Where there are travel disruptions due to bad weather conditions or any form of industrial action, the Owner cannot be held responsible for non-arrival or departure from the Cottage and no refunds will be given. Should the Guest need to arrange alternative accommodation, the Owner will help where possible. In this scenario the Guest would be responsible for the full cost of any alternative overnight accommodation. We strongly advise that all guests have normal travel insurance to cover for this eventuality should it arise.
Arrival & Departure
Check in is from 16:00hrs to 18:00hrs – unless a special case is agreed between the Guest and the Owner prior to the Guest’s arrival. Departure must be before 1000 hrs to allow cleaning to commence prior to the next Guest’s arrival to comply with Covid-19 regulations. Failure to adhere to these times may result in additional rental charges plus a fee for delayed or hindered access to the property by housekeeping. Please note that in the event that any keys issued are not returned at the end of your stay, then the cost of replacement will be charged to you at a rate of £50.00 per key.
If for any reason the owner or representative cannot meet the guest on arrival there is a key safe for which the code will be provided shortly before arrival.
Inside the cottage, Seashell Cottage, the Guest will find an welcome pack, but please do feel free to ask for further assistance if required.
The property is accessed via a gated gravel driveway. Vehicles can be parked inside our outside the gate. Parking at the property for the sole use of the Guest.
Conditions of Occupancy
During the occupancy of the property, the Guest agrees to have full consideration for the residents of neighbouring properties and not to cause any distress by generating excessive noise or antisocial behaviour. The Owner can refuse the Guest or any member of the Guest’s party entry or continued occupancy of the property if the Guest, or the Guest’s party are behaving antisocially, illegally or if any damage has been or is likely to be caused to the property or the Owners property. Any such actions will be treated as a cancellation by the Guest and the Owner will not be liable for any refund of payments paid, additional compensation, expenses or costs inured by the Guest or their party as a result of this action and the Owner will be under no obligation to find the Guest or its party alternative accommodation. It is expected that the Guest leaves the property in the same of condition as they found it in.
The property is strictly no smoking of any sort, including vaping. If guests are found to have smoked within the property and damage is incurred as a result of this (including leaving a lingering aroma) then a penalty fee of £250 will be incurred, payable via the damage security deposit.
Damage Security Deposit
The Owner reserves the right to require a refundable damage security deposit of £400 at the time of booking and paying deposit (this can either be paid via debit/credit card over the phone or through a bank transfer). Any such damage security will be refunded with in 72 hours of departure subject to the Owner’s evaluation. Deductions may be made for damage to the property, its contents or other property or belongings of the Owner.
Care of the Property / Breakage, Damage, Theft
The Guest is responsible for leaving the property clean and tidy. The Guest is also responsible for any loss, breakages or damage. Any breakages or damage, however minor, must be reported immediately by the Guest to the Owner, who will make the appropriate charge for repair or replacement for which the Guest will be liable. The Owner reserves the right for their representatives to enter the property to carry out inspection or repairs. The Guest will be responsible for the cost of any excessive cleaning that may be required following their stay, charged at £50 per hour. The property must be secured if unoccupied.
Number of guests
The maximum number of guests allowed is 6. This can be a combination of adults and children. A baby may sleep in a cot in addition to the 6 adults/children. A lead guest must supply the name, contact details and ages of all guests during the booking process. Children under 18 must be supervised by their parents/guardians at all times.
There are two king sized bedded rooms and one twin bedded room. There is no provision for, nor is there space for additional camp beds/folding beds to increase the guest number. A cot is provided for one additional baby.
Utilities, Linen & Towels
The property is supplied with pillows, duvets, bed linen, bathroom and kitchen towels. We ask that these items are not removed from the property. Electricity, heating and fuel for the stove are all included in the hire charge.
There are no hidden charges for the provision of utilities, bed linen and towels to the Guest, unless a cleaning or breakages surcharge is necessary if the property is left in an unacceptable condition.
Right of Entry
The Guest must allow the Owner and/or his Agent reasonable access to the property without notice to the Guest.
Any issues that the Guest feels are unsafe in or around the property should be raised immediately with the Owner to allow the Owner the opportunity to rectify any issues raised. The Owner shall not be liable to the Guest or any member of their party for any loss or damage to any person or their property arising from the rental of the property however inured.
- No candles must be lit in the property at any time
- No BBQs must be lit inside the property
- Seashell Cottage is fitted with heat and carbon monoxide detectors for the safety of all guests.
- There are fire blankets in the kitchen and fire extinguishers
- There are rechargeable torches in every room in case of a power cut
Facilities / Amenities
The Owner reserves the right to alter or withdraw without prior notice facilities and/or amenities which have been advertised, where reasonably necessary due to necessary repairs, maintenance or any other circumstances beyond their control. The Owner will notify the Guest as soon as practical of any such changes.
Circumstances beyond the control of the Owner
If for any reason the Owner has to cancel the Guest’s booking in advance due to circumstances beyond the Owners control, for example fire, flood, or destruction/damage to the property, the Owner will seek to find the Guest comparable accommodation for the rental period, or will offer alternative dates or refund the full amount of the booking. If the Owner has to terminate the Guest’s holiday early for any reason, the Guest will be credited/refunded proportionate part of the rental payment based on the time remaining of the booking. This will be the full extent of the liability of the Owner and no additional compensation, expenses or costs incurred by the Guest or their party will be payable by the Owner.
The Owner does not offer insurance or accept any liability to the Guest for losses, additional costs, compensation, expenses, in the event of the property being unavailable due to a non exhaustive list of and including the following examples: adverse weather conditions, ferry or plane cancellations, Guest travel arrangements, natural disasters, terror attacks, acts of war, hijacking, riots, incidents of civil unrest, pandemics, epidemics, virus’s or general restrictions on movement imposed by local or national Government, which may prevent the guest arriving at the property.
Prior to booking, the Guest needs to contact the Owner with the size and number of any dogs (maximum two dogs). Your pet is not allowed into the bedroom or bathroom and must be kept off the furniture. Pet(s) must not be left unattended in the property at any time. Please also be aware that this is rural area surrounded by livestock and wildlife and it is the Guest’s responsibility to keep their pet(s) under control. The property is fully fenced and pet(s) may use the gardens if supervised and any mess is collected and disposed of properly by the Guest.
Additional Terms & Conditions Relating To Covid-19
- Guests should not travel to the property if they are showing any Covid-19 related symptoms.
- In the unlikely event that any Guest develops symptoms of Covid-19 whilst staying at the property, the Owner and the relevant public health authority will need to be informed immediately.
- Guests showing signs of Covid-19 whilst staying at property should test themselves via PCR if this is still being offered or LFT and must communicate their test results with the Owner so the correct turnover protocol can be applied.
- In the event that a Guest or one of their party develops Covid-19 during the course of a stay, and the Scottish Governement guidelines in place at the time do not permit them to travel home (i.e public travel not allowed) and they are required to self-isolate in the property beyond their intended departure date, the Owner will permit the Guest to extend their stay for the time required by Government guidelines at the time. This will incur a nightly cost at the same nightly/weekly rate as per the original booking. In addition to the extra nightly cost, the Guest will be charged for an additional 3 nights (72 hours), allowing for post infection cleaning procedures required before the property can be used again.
- The owner may need to cancel a booking at short notice due to Covid-19 (e.g. for an outbreak on the island, a return to lock-down, or a previous guest having to self-isolate in the property) If the property becomes unavailable or unusable at any point prior to arrival, the Owner’s sole obligation is to confirm the cancellation of the booking as soon as possible and reimburse the guest for all payments made or offer a credit voucher against a future stay. The owner is not liable for any consequential compensation, expenses or costs inured by the Guest or their party and for this reason it is strongly recommended to have adequate travel insurance in place prior to travelling.
- Between each Guests’ stay, the property and contents will be deep cleaned to reduce the risk of infection. The departure time for guests of 1000 hrs and check in time of 16:00 hrs is to help accommodate the increased cleaning schedule.
- Anyone travelling to a Scottish Island is advised to take a Lateral Flow Test 3 days before they plan to travel and again on their day of departure. Our community is small and fragile and we would ask all our Guests to comply with this request as a condition of their Contract.
The owner will make all Guests aware of the measures taken to comply with Scottish Government cleaning protocols for self-catering properties in the relation to Covid-19 as a check list to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. By proceeding with their booking, the Guest agrees that the owner has taken all reasonable steps to reduce the risk of infection and agrees to these additional Terms & Conditions.
Any complaint must be taken up immediately by the Guest with the Owner who must be afforded the opportunity to address the issue raised. The Owner regrets that they cannot take up or be held liable for a complaint after the Guest has vacated the property. Any complaints or disputes raised publicly on social media or otherwise after departure are liable to legal action from the Owner.
By confirming the reservation details and paying paying the booking deposit, the Guest agrees to these terms and conditions, and is making an offer to rent a the property for the period and cost agreed, by way of a binding contract between the Guest and the Owner.