Why the Isle of Harris is Such a Beautiful Island
The Isle of Harris is a stunning island in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. It is renowned for its breathtaking landscapes, from its white sandy beaches and majestic cliffs, to its rugged mountains and serene lochs. The island is also home to a vibrant wildlife, with an array of birds, seals, and otters that can be spotted on the beaches and around the coastline. The unique culture of the island is also a draw, with local arts and crafts, music, and cuisine that showcases the unique character of the island. The Isle of Harris is truly a magical place – it’s no wonder why it is so beloved by visitors and locals alike!
Facts About the Isle of Harris
The Isle of Harris is a stunningly beautiful island located in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. It’s known for its rugged landscapes and picturesque beaches, as well as unique wildlife and outdoor activities. Some fun facts about the Isle of Harris include:
- The Isle of Harris is the second largest of the Outer Hebrides islands, and is home to approximately 2,200 people.
- The island is known for its unique landscape, consisting of dramatic mountains, lochs, and white-sand beaches.
- Harris is home to the world-famous Harris Tweed, a fabric woven by hand on the island.
- The island is also home to a variety of wildlife, including red deer, otters, and a plethora of seabirds.
- The island is also known for its vibrant cultural activities, including traditional music, ceilidhs, and storytelling.
- The Isle of Harris is also home to a number of archaeological sites, including the Iron Age village of Gearrannan.
Wildlife on the Isle of Harris
The Isle of Harris is home to a variety of wildlife, including deer, otters, Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles and a variety of seabirds. The island also has numerous walks which offer great opportunities to view the wildlife. There are boat tours and wildlife watching experiences available. You’ll be able to spot seals, dolphins, whales, and a variety of sea birds. The rugged landscape also supports a variety of flora and fauna. There’s so much to explore and enjoy on the Isle of Harris!
“Seashell Cottage is a beautifully refurbished, high-end cottage that sleeps up to 6 very comfortably. There are two large, amazingly comfortable king size beds and a further 2 very comfy singles in the 3rd bedroom. The living room and kitchen / diner are smartly set out with high quality fabrics and materials used throughout. Two lovely bathrooms as well.
The location of Seashell cottage is really convenient. You’ll need to drive to a beach if you want to get into the waves but there are 3 of the loveliest beaches in the whole UK within 5-10 minutes in the car. The cottage is on the outskirts of Leverburgh, 1 minute from the main shop on the southern part of Harris, and 3 minutes from the little ferry to North Uist. So it’s an exceptional base for exploring… and a peaceful, civilized, beautifully done up cottage for resting and reading if the afternoon turns wet and windy.
The host is exceptionally thoughtful and responsive and has developed this cottage to be a perfect hideaway for couples and families.“